Thursday, December 18, 2008

Random Music #2

Pink Floyd. Hey You. Unmistakable. Hey you, out there in the cold, standing in the aisle, can you feel me, hey you, don't help them to bury the lie, don't give in without a fight. tinkling guitar and synthospace, the drums kick in, the harmonies, open your heart, is this from The Wall?, don't know, it's from Echoes, damn the best of, full speed ahead, fabulous solo, Hey you, always doing what you're told, won't you help me, saw Pink Floyd on acid at the Santa Monica Civic, can I handle the flash back, oh good, I don't have to, it's already playing Bach - Toccata & Fugue in F maj, not the famous one in C min, but similar, same fucking organ, same fucking cathedral, something sinister about to happen, mathematical fingerwork, like listening to a calculus professor solving equations, every possible permutation, calculated, solemn, dramatic, majestic, good typing music, the keyboards coagulate, letters and numbers and notes, it's all the same, a random flow from one to the next, thank you Sebastian, but can you please end this, turning into a sermon, a minister droning on and on about something in the bible, turn it off, I can't stand it, Bach, baby, okay, we get it, why is he still playing, how long is this, eleven minutes?, and we're only up to five? Fuck it, next...

John Mayer, I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You), from his new album, Continuum, got the whole thing, still haven't heard it all or weeded out anything, sounds cool, smooth, Fly like an Eagle, I will beg my way into your garden, hold on to something, hold onto something something, look at you, finding something, Hall and Oates, nice guitar, reminds me of Larry Carlton, another of those singers who finds the strange space between regular voice and falsetto, a nice rasp, still haven't found the song from this album that makes me go wow, might not come up randomly for ages.

Marianne Faithful, Why'd 'Ya Do It she said, why'd 'ya let him suck your cock? You know it makes me sore. The closest any female has flipped the Jagger bit sideways, a woman, angry at her man, taking it out on the other woman, a bitter and spectacular performance, full of betrayal and conviction, driving outrageous guitar, solid backbeat, like Satisfaction, every woman listener thinking you go girl, and every male listener thinking oh fuck, I never want a woman that mad at me, chicks are all crazy, get in, get out, that's my motto.

Peter Gabriel, Steam, can't separate it from the video, like many of Gabriel's, a pulsing parade of imagination, directed by Stephen Johnson, who also directed Peewee's Playhouse, total genius, get a life with the dreamer's dream, you know your culture from your cash, I know you, you know your sinner from your saint, gimme steam, what the hell is it about, brilliantly mysterious, stand back, about celebrity heat, clay animation, real as anything you see, green from your read, quick from the dead, I know you, this is more than I can take, oh yeah, I need steam, I'm going to get up and dance till it's over.

Dixie Chicks, So Hard, I feel so guilty, that was a gift I couldn't give, life was how we picture it, prove everybody wrong, when it doesn't come easy, hoo boy, file this one under boners, right next to Pump it Up, sneaky hit songs about erections are so hard to come up with because everything they say sounds like innuendo and out the other.

Nick Lowe, sorta lame, Drive-Through Man, is this a parody, hokey, country, it wouldn't kill you to lift that blind, I know you feel it, exposed and uncovered, like a wild east wind, gimme a break, outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment